Christmas Tree Cutting 101
Chestnuts are roasting on an open fire and now that we’re finally able to stand after the Thanksgiving festivities, we’ve embarked upon our next adventure – cutting down our own Christmas tree.
Now, if you’re new to Montana then you may or may not know the proper steps to go into the forest to cut down a Christmas tree. Lucky for you, Glacier Raft Co. is here to help. Follow these tips for a proper cutting experience.
1. Permits to cut down your own Christmas tree are only $5 – a small price to pay for bragging rights to your very own tree.
2. Families can obtain up to three permits. Permits are required if you want to avoid fines when you’re chopping.
3. Tree cutting is NOT allowed in wilderness or BLM-wilderness study areas. So don’t even go there.
4. When you purchase your permit you will be provided with an info sheet. READ IT! They don’t just write these things for fun.
5. The Forest Service and BLM offices are open weekdays 8:00am – 4:30pm. If you can’t make it here during business hours, you can get your permit from these other locations.
Anaconda: Hardware Hank
Boulder: Ace Hardware Store
Wise River: Wise River Mercantile
Ennis: True Value Hardware
Harrison: Wheat and Thistle
Sheridan: McLeod Mercantile
Butte: Bob Ward and Sons Sporting Goods
Lima: Ralph’s Exxon
For more information contact the Forest Service at (406) 683-3900, or the BLM at (406) 533-7600.